Lazada Philippines

Monday, January 21, 2013

Feast of Sto. Nino de Tondo 2013: Viva Santo Nino!

From Kalibo to Cebu, from Pandacan to Tondo, I guess, there's really no reason to doubt how many people believe and keep their faith to the young Jesus brought by Spaniards centuries ago. And this year, as I celebrate the Feast of Sto. Nino in my hometown once again, Tondo - after that memorable and wonderful experience I had last year in Ati-atihan Festival of Kalibo, Aklan, I guess, there's still no place like home! Happy fiesta, Sto. Nino de Tondo!


Compared to the provinces from the south, Sto. Nino here in Manila has completely changed its image, but despite of that, the devotion given to the holy child was very evident to the number of people flock to its churches to celebrate his festivity.


And yesterday, together with my aunts who are devotees too of the Sto. Nino, I visited once again the first district of Tondo to see how the celebration was kept alive and how the people of Tondo show their unique way of thanking the miraculous image that started Catholicism in the country.


Just like in Sinulog Festival in Cebu and Ati-Atihan Festival Kalibo, here in Tondo, we also have the street dance show, which is taking place a day before the festivity. With contingents coming from the different towns or baranggays of the first district of Tondo, Manileños enjoy the colorful show of praise and gratitude to the holy child through a street dance also known as Lakbayaw.



While on the day of the fiesta, the church is filled with people from different walks of life. We arrived at the church at around 9 in the morning, and as expected, the church was packed with people bearing their own images of Sto. Nino. Though the blessings of the images is done outside, people still brings their replicas inside for the blessed mass.


It was and always be this feast that will remind me how wonderful life is. And even without the grand celebration, one can enjoy how rich and color our heritage is from this side of the country. From the small trinkets that are sold outside the church that fascinates locals and tourists, to the joyful attitude of the people who believe in one god, Feast of Sto. Nino is a celebration worth celebration, really.


I had a wonderful time taking pictures of the different things happening around me. It was so fascinating to see different things that reminded me of my childhood and things that just burst out of the scene and give a nice hue to the busy surrounding.


I honestly cannot remember when was the last time I appreciate Tondo, but heck, I love it and this is my home.


Happy fiesta, Tondo! Viva Sto. Nino!


Happy Rammmpa, everyone!



1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, saya niyan! I was once invited to a household in Tondo during fiesta, way back in college.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...