Lazada Philippines

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ilocos Norte: Revisiting Paoay Church

More than of being a UNESCO World Heritage Site, more than of being one of the best Baroque churches in the Philippines, and more than of being an Augustinian Church, one gravitational pull that attracts me to see this place every time I'm here in the Ilocos Norte, is its homey peacefulness vibes that it shed to me every time I see it. That and some more are the reasons why I love visiting Paoay Church.


Settled right at the smack of the lovely town of Paoay, the Church of Saint Augustine or more commonly known as Paoay Church is one of the most visited sites in this part of the country. Still standing strong and grand since it was built in the 1700s, Paoay Church also carries this captivating Javanese architectural design aside from its celebrated Earthquake Baroque architecture.



This is my second time to be here, the last one was way back in 2008. And though I wasn't able to stay in town for a day again, I actually spent longer time now than before since we had our lunch in a cafe restaurant right across the church, the Herencia Cafe.


Looking at the church from this side of the cafe makes me feel that I'm in  some sort of European courtyard. Everything looks and feels so harmonious, like looking at a very beautiful painting at the comfort of my own garden. The cobblestone that added that periodic feel to this whole scenery even made it more enticing to spend the day in - the way I love Intramuros in Manila City is almost the same I love this place. And with that lush greenery all over and some at the top of those perfectly made buttresses, Paoay Church is definitely one of Philippine Roman Catholic churches to see.


But contrary to its picturesque and captivating facade, as I finally had the chance to see its interior, I was saddened by the emptiness this church. With poles supporting the ceiling less roof, showing its metal skeleton, I just can't help but to wish that I just didn't do inside. I am honestly hoping before going inside that I'd be seeing something that will fill my heart and soul, but to my surprise, the eyes were limited to some few things that I cannot believe I'd see in this renowned site.



I guess it has something to do with it being an Augustinian church, but I still hope that they'll do something with its naked ceiling. As for the the other parts of the church, like the flooring, I'm happy that its looks nice and pretty. The altar also resembles the simplicity of the town, which shares a plain design with crucifix inside its movable altar.


And if there's one thing that I love about the interior of Paoay Church, it would be its pulpit that shows the kind of beauty that matches with the church's buttresses. 


How I wish that on my next visit here, I'll get a chance to see what's inside the bell tower and hopefully some of the offices is houses.

Despite of its sad interior, I'm still glad that I was able to go back here and feel the simplicity of rural life that is a true love for me. The homey peaceful ambiance that it bestows to every tourist of this humble and lovely town of Paoay is an experience that every one of us should feel. Truly, in Paoay, its Kumakaway - with love!

Thank you, Paoay Church! Thank you, Ilocos Norte!
Happy Rammmpa!



6 comments:

  1. hi alex. your first visit in paoay was in 2008, e kami nga 2003 pa! *face palm*

    wala pang establishments sa tapat ng simbahan noon. nagulat na lang kami makita uli ang paoay noong napanood namin dito ang pelikula ni erich gonzales at mario maurer (tama ba spelling?) oops! hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doc, buti ka pa napanood mo na ang pelikula nila. *face Palm* Hahahahaha!

      Delete
  2. I like your first pic, it's a unique photo angle for the church :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm actually planning to print it out now. Hehehe.

      Delete
  3. Wow namangha ako sa photos! Gnda tlga ng church n yan :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...