Lazada Philippines

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Tayo na sa Antipolo!

It's been more than a decade now since I started doing Station of the Cross or Via Crusis, and during those years, I usually barefooted people walking on the street, who look  like they are going out on a field trip. 


Well, They are actually on a field trip, but instead of taking bus, they are all walking. I only discovered that they are all heading towards the mountain when I started discovering the churches in the eastern part of Metro Manila. Yes, during Maundy Thursday, pilgrims are all heading to Antipolo - to the National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage or Immaculate Conception Parish and then take on separate routes as they leave the place on the morning of Good Friday.


If you'll have a chance to visit the churches in the eastern part of Metro Manila - churches in Pasig, Mandaluyong, some parts of Quezon City and Makati - on Maundy Thursday, you'll notice this great number of people walking barefoot. There are some who are wearing uniformed shirts and yes again, they are all heading to one direction. Mostly youth, these people are doing an old tradition of hiking up to Antipolo for the annual pilgrimage to Lady of Peace and Good Voyage .


If I'm not mistaken, my first and last pilgrimage to the Church of Antipolo was when I was still in Primary School. I was so young then and I was with my old aunts and old neighbors, so we didn't walk, rather we hired a jeepney to take us up to Antipolo.


During that time, the number of pilgrims are not as big as the number of pilgrims flocking to the mountains of Antipolo now. Most of the people then are old too. But now, pilgrims to Antipolo are all getting younger and more energetic. Some are too young that the old ones need to remind them on what they are doing and why they are doing it. But nonetheless, I personally think that it is good to know that our youth are on to this activities or sacrifices.


I wanna do it again someday, maybe until I suffice myself with these beautiful churches in the country. There are so many beautiful old churches that I can't stop myself from visiting them, and Maundy Thursday's Visita Iglesia is the only day that I get to see some of them.

These pilgrims stay over night for the vigil and in the morning, they are welcomed by these delectable treats that they can enjoy at an affordable price. Not bad, eh? I love Antipolo! :-)


May we all have a meaningful Holy Week!
Advance happy Easter to all! Happy Rammmpa!



1 comment:

  1. Fave ko yang suman at kasuy na yan. My parents in law, prior to their annual vacation in the province, pumupunta ng Antipolo at sumasama kami lagi, hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...