Lazada Philippines

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My Suicidal Trip to Banaue Rice Terraces

Whenever I see postcards of this wonder of the world, I can't help but to get astounded over its wonderful steps and simply fall in love over its breathtaking view, lush greenery and artistic waves. Banaue Rice Terraces or the Ifugao Rice Terraces is definitely a must-see before you die. But make sure that you don't die because you went here wearing the wrong outfit! Hahaha!


Me wearing shorts and slippers 
on a 20-degree Celsius temperature!

December 28, a day after my friend's wedding in Nueva Vizacaya, I and another friend, decided to go uphill to see the glorious and heart-stopping beauty of Banaue Rice Terraces. I never thought that it would be that cold in Ifugao, going there was not part of our plan. I never thought I would survive that cold; we were so stupid to forget about the weather. I never thought it would be that challenging to go up there, but I'm glad we've made it. IT WAS SO MUCH JOY TO BE THERE.


The Death by an Outfit

From Bagabag, Nueva Vizcaya, we took a jeepney going to Ifugao, the fare is Php75.00. Our friends from Bagabag told us that it's a two-hour ride from there to the mountains; they missed to tell us that it would be a two-hour super, duper, over, mega cold ride. My friend and I were both wearing walking shorts and flip-flops then, so yeah, go figure.

Since we planned to just be there for only 2-4 hours, we chose to be in our comfortable outfits. Hahaha! Stupid us, we forgot that as the land goes higher, the temperature drops down. So as our jeepney revs up to the mountain, the two of us dies inside - COLD.


Seriously, that was the coldest 2 hours of my life, and I honestly thought I'm going to die there - FROZEN. And if you thought I'm just worried about the cold weather, well, actually, half of the coldness that I'm feeling came from idea that most of our co-passengers were Ifugaos whose mouths were red because of the momma they are chewing. I never thought again that it would be that scary, but it was!

The moment we've noticed that our jeepney is slowing down, as it is about to park in Ifugao Jeepney Terminal, my friend and I can't help but to hurry go down to shake the coldness away. We walked some meters uphill then went back until we feel our fingers, toes, arms, legs, hands, feet, face and even our neck again. Hahaha! We really look so funny then! And when we finally gain back our normal body temperature, we laughed so hard on ourselves. Going up to Ifugao wearing a somehow beach attire is a good and stupid idea at the same time, we thought. Hahaha!

Our destination

When we were sure that we are A-okay, we finally decided to hail a tricycle to take us around. We were charged Php200 to go around Ifugao. The trip includes the three viewing decks of the Banaue Rice Terraces, the museum and back to the terminal. We thought the price was okay, so without wasting anytime, we headed to our first destination.


The first viewing deck is the most favorite one, according to our driver. It gives every tourist a great view of the different mountains in the region that were turned into a stunning art piece. The drama added by the clouds made the whole view so heart-stopping that almost made us cry - DREAM COME TRUE!

From this viewing deck, you will see closely the rice terraces, which was featured in an advertising material, where this world-famous wake boarder does his stunt. It was on the news for quite some time, so I believe you would remember it once you saw this part up-close.

View from the 1st Viewing Deck

The second and third viewing decks are also okay, the only difference is both give a wider perspective of the Rice Terraces. It was like watching an animation or sci-fi movie here. It was so surreal to see such an amazing beauty and kept-well for hundreds of years.

View from the 2nd Viewing Deck

View from the 3rd Viewing Deck

After some time of enjoying the wonderful sight of Banaue Rice Terraces, my friend and I decided to see one of the local museums. We were asked not to take pictures inside, so with high respect to their norms, we went around the museum the old-school style. The museum is actually part of a house, but who cares; most of the stuff inside were kept well, so yeah, we enjoyed the place. A Php20.00 entrance fee will be collected upon entrance.


Since we were just there for a day trip, we weren't able to see and experience the amazing life in Batad. But that just give me a reason to come back, right?

Before we leave, we visited their Tourism Office where we were asked to pay Php20.00 for the Environmental Fee. 

Banaue Rice Terraces deserves to be called one of the wonders of the world, indeed. With the kind of artistry, ingenuity and love poured on to it creating such a marvelous sight is one thing that we, Filipinos, should be so proud of!


I can't wait to go back, and I'll make sure that I'm in my best attire to enjoy the cold weather - I actually some nice  shoes at Zalora, which would love great for my style, and best physique for the activities awaiting for me in Batad!

Thank you, Banaue Rice Terraces! You are my first love! Hahahaha!

Happy Rammmpa!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...